Deployment Architecture

Deploying wmi.conf for windows universal forwarders with deployment-server

dturner83
Path Finder

I need a little help with the ability to deploy wmi.conf to my clients.

As I understand the wmi.conf must go into the /etc/system/local folder on the windows client. How do I put this file in there OR tell splunk to look in the /etc/apps/[deployment-client app] folder which gets put there properly, for the wmi.conf file?

Splunk 4.3.1 with deployment-server, have about 30 windows universal forwarders with proper serverclass.conf

Tags (2)
1 Solution

iunderwood
Path Finder

I apologize for being late to the party, as it were.

Use your deployment server properly and create an app for the WMI stuff. In this case, we'll call it winsvr-localwmi. Place your wmi.conf in the default directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/deployment-apps/winsvr-localwmi/default

If you don't have the input defined, you'll need an inputs.conf in the same directory:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

Lastly, be sure your universal forwards restart after the change, or you might end up scratching your head. I made a server class for all my Windows machines. Since my Splunk installation is all RHEL, all my Windows boxes are UFs only.

I put this in my serverclass.conf:

[serverClass:Forwarder_Universal_Windows]
blacklist.0 = *
disabled = 0
filterType = blacklist
machineTypes = windows-intel,windows-x64
restartSplunkd = True

Posting this anyway because I hate finding answers more than once. 🙂

View solution in original post

iunderwood
Path Finder

I apologize for being late to the party, as it were.

Use your deployment server properly and create an app for the WMI stuff. In this case, we'll call it winsvr-localwmi. Place your wmi.conf in the default directory:

$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/deployment-apps/winsvr-localwmi/default

If you don't have the input defined, you'll need an inputs.conf in the same directory:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

Lastly, be sure your universal forwards restart after the change, or you might end up scratching your head. I made a server class for all my Windows machines. Since my Splunk installation is all RHEL, all my Windows boxes are UFs only.

I put this in my serverclass.conf:

[serverClass:Forwarder_Universal_Windows]
blacklist.0 = *
disabled = 0
filterType = blacklist
machineTypes = windows-intel,windows-x64
restartSplunkd = True

Posting this anyway because I hate finding answers more than once. 🙂

aojie654
Path Finder

A great idea that work perfectly!

0 Karma

dturner83
Path Finder

WOW iunderwood this works perfectly. Thank you very much.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...