Deployment Architecture

Custom deployment app - separate configs for search heads and forwarders

alekwisnia
Explorer

This is my architecture:

1. A deployment server (DS) with apps within deployment-apps folder

2. Two search heads (SH)

3. Two clustered indexers (CI)

4. A number of production servers with Splunk forwarder installed (SF).

I feed both SH and SF with apps on DS. SF write to CI and SH reads from CI.

I need to develop a custom app to read application logs. I know that I need inputs.conf on SF and props.conf (with i.e. EXTRACT parameter set) on SH. 

What is the best and proper way to do so? Create two separate apps (one for SH and one for SF)? Or use one app, but disable part of config files somehow (i.e. basing on server class)? I don't want inputs.conf to be used on SH and props.conf on SF. What about Splunkbase apps (i.e. for Apache) - how they should be different and how to maintain them?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @alekwisnia,

the best approach, as you can see in Splunkbase, is to create three custom apps:

• the main app to install on Search Heads, containing all the knowledge object, and the dashboards;
  • a Technical Add-On (TA) containing inputs.con end eventually props.conf to install on Universal Forwarders;
  • a TA for Indexers containing indexers.conf, props.conf and transforms.conf.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...