Deployment Architecture

Custom conf files replication in search head cluster

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've one App which has Add-on builder created configuration page with API key, proxy settings, etc. This configuration is going to store in _settings.conf in local.

If I configure this on one of the search head, will this configuration replicates to other search heads?
If Yes - Any document that can say that custom conf files replicates to other search heads.
If No - How should I configure App?

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes custom configuration files will be replicated, within some boundaries..

PLease read this doc file : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/DistSearch/HowconfrepoworksinSHC

This outlines what is replicated, and what triggers that replication.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes custom configuration files will be replicated, within some boundaries..

PLease read this doc file : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/DistSearch/HowconfrepoworksinSHC

This outlines what is replicated, and what triggers that replication.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@esix_splunk - I want to add here that, if Addon/App is making all conf changes through RestAPI then only it will replicate, if it is making change with ConfParser then it will not replicate.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Note this, as stated in the docs..

The cluster replicates changes made through these methods:

Splunk Web
The Splunk CLI
The REST API

So yes, using a custom python command to modify configurations will not trigger a configuration update. If you're editing this way, it would be better to finalize the script with a hit against the rest config endpoint for the app....

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...