Deployment Architecture

Custom conf files replication in search head cluster

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I've one App which has Add-on builder created configuration page with API key, proxy settings, etc. This configuration is going to store in _settings.conf in local.

If I configure this on one of the search head, will this configuration replicates to other search heads?
If Yes - Any document that can say that custom conf files replicates to other search heads.
If No - How should I configure App?

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes custom configuration files will be replicated, within some boundaries..

PLease read this doc file : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/DistSearch/HowconfrepoworksinSHC

This outlines what is replicated, and what triggers that replication.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes custom configuration files will be replicated, within some boundaries..

PLease read this doc file : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/DistSearch/HowconfrepoworksinSHC

This outlines what is replicated, and what triggers that replication.

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@esix_splunk - I want to add here that, if Addon/App is making all conf changes through RestAPI then only it will replicate, if it is making change with ConfParser then it will not replicate.

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Note this, as stated in the docs..

The cluster replicates changes made through these methods:

Splunk Web
The Splunk CLI
The REST API

So yes, using a custom python command to modify configurations will not trigger a configuration update. If you're editing this way, it would be better to finalize the script with a hit against the rest config endpoint for the app....

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...