Deployment Architecture

Copying serverclass.conf to cold Deployment Server

edhealea
Path Finder

I have setup a second Deployment Server for disaster recovery purposes. I am using rsync in a cron job to copy the deployment-apps directory and the serverclass.conf file over from the primary DS to the cold DS. When I look at my cold DS Forward Management console my Apps number match with the primary DS but my Server Classes are short by three server classes.
I grep the serverclass.conf from both servers and the missing classes are not there plus I have looked in the default/serverclass.conf.
What would cause three not to copy over? Is there another file I need to grab off the primary DS?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @edhealea,

While you make config changes using GUI, serverclass.conf can get created on different apps. You can find all serverclass.conf files that active using btool.

./splunk btool serverclass list --debug | grep local

Merging all of them into one app and making all further changes inside that app would prevent rsync loose a config.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @edhealea,

While you make config changes using GUI, serverclass.conf can get created on different apps. You can find all serverclass.conf files that active using btool.

./splunk btool serverclass list --debug | grep local

Merging all of them into one app and making all further changes inside that app would prevent rsync loose a config.

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
0 Karma

edhealea
Path Finder

Thanks!
Using your btool command located the missing server classes. 
Everything is working as expected.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...