Deployment Architecture

Confusion around wording in SVA on indexer storage architecture

dm1
Contributor

I am currently assessing the options for indexer storage architecture. 

I was reading the SVA and it had below statement for Classic Indexer Architecture Using File System Storage

This architecture is recommended when you have requirements for either
• Short-term data retention (<=3 months) or
• Long-term retention and performance-critical search use cases that frequently access older historic data

whereas, SmartStore Indexer Architecture Using Object Storage 

This model can have significant positive impact on the TCO of your Splunk deployment, especially when you retain data for long periods of time.

There's a bit of ambiguity between both statements.

Our retention period is up 3 months and ingest roughly 1.5 TB per day.  Mainly have ES, key Dashboards and reporting for which we need data worth the last 3 months. Environment will be in AWS (Not Splunk Cloud).

Based on this and the above two statements, I am confused which might be a better option to go for. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Both are good options.  The second improves on the first by reducing the amount of file system storage needed - saving money.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...