Deployment Architecture

Clustering: Can a cluster master also act as a search head?

akula169
Explorer

My current splunk (standalone) index/search host has a bunch of proc/mem but is low on disk. I have two other servers with average proc/mem but a ton of disk that I'd like to use as cluster peers.

I noticed in the first step of clustering configuration, you have the choice of three roles: master, search head or peer. That's making me think its not possible to have a master also be a search head.

I'd like to move the standalone (big proc/mem) over to be a master as well as search. Possible?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Drainy
Champion

As per the docs;
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/Indexer/Enablethemasternode

Important: A master node cannot do double duty as a peer node. The Splunk instance that you enable as master node must perform only that single role. In addition, the master cannot share a machine with a peer.

View solution in original post

Jon_Webster
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The Master Node does run a Search Head as well. The docs state this and also not to use it for production searching.

From this section in the docs, just below the diagram:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Multisitearchitecture#Multisite_cluster_n...

The master node controls the entire cluster. Although the master resides physically on a site, the master is not actually a member of any site. However, each master has a built-in search head, and that search head requires that you specify a site for the master as a whole. Note that the master's search head is for testing purposes only. Do not use it in a production environment. 

akula169
Explorer

got it. thanks.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

right and as it says, the splunk instance that is a master node must perform only that single role

0 Karma

akula169
Explorer

I'm not asking for the master to also act as a peer. I want the master to also act as the search head.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

Why do you post with so many usernames?

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

As per the docs;
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.1/Indexer/Enablethemasternode

Important: A master node cannot do double duty as a peer node. The Splunk instance that you enable as master node must perform only that single role. In addition, the master cannot share a machine with a peer.

Masterbaker
Explorer

Just to add to Ricapar's comment... the docs should at the very least explain why we shouldn't use the master as a search head for production - Is it for performance considerations only (e.g: ensure that the master node has enough resources to accomplish its purpose), or is there some other more important reason?

I'll give you an example : As far as capacity is concerned I only need two search heads for our production environment - but search head clustering requires a minimum of three search heads.

In that case I would gladly use the master node as my "unused" third search head - It would be there only to satisfy the "3 search heads" requirement but not to do actual searching. Would that work, are there any caveats? I cannot draw conclusions from the current documentation. Maybe a Splunk guru here can take a stab at this? Cheers!

Ricapar
Communicator

It seems quite wasteful to dedicate a machine for just the role as a master.

I just finished setting up my own cluster. 1 master, 4 peers. Don't have a dedicated search head quite yet.

However, when a machine is set up as the Master node, it is still capable of performing searches - and those searches work as you'd expect, distributing out to all of the peer nodes.

In that sense, the master can act as a search head.

The docs don't really differentiate between what you CAN and CAN NOT do, and what you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do. They should.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...