Deployment Architecture

Cluster peers restart and primacy reassignment

clagese
Explorer

During an intentionally peer restart, are its primary buckets always reassigned to the other cluster peers?

Namely I would like to know what happends to the primary buckets when the cluster is restarted using the command "splunk rolling restart cluster-peers" or when I apply a configuration bundle to the peers using the command "splunk apply cluster-bundle".
In these cases of cluster restart, are the primary copies of each peer reassigned and how it's done?

Tags (1)

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Primary buckets held by a given cluster peer will be re-assigned when the peer is restarted or becomes unavailable, regardless of the method used for restart. The purpose of a rolling restart (which 'splunk apply cluster-bundle' calls) is to orchestrate the restart in a way that allows this bucket primacy re-assignment to be done gracefully.

In the future, we hope to implement a 'cluster service mode' that will allow you to perform operations on your cluster without some of the cost currently incurred by a rolling restart - although this has more to do with bucket copies/rebuilds to respect rep/search factors than primacy re-assignment (we always need one primary bucket).

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...