Deployment Architecture

Cluster bucket rebalancing: How long is too long?

twinspop
Influencer

My first few attempts at rebalancing were pretty great. No muss, no fuss. They ran for about 12 hours and like magic my cluster was firing on all cylinders. Beautiful.

'Stuff happens' and I'm now in the situation again where I've introduced new servers to the the cluster (replacing old). Now I'm way out of balance. "No problem," says I. "Data rebalancing is awesome."

Not so fast. Literally. I fired it off late Friday night. By Monday morning the process was reading 0.14% done, .01% more than right after starting the process 56 hours previously. By my math that's about 650 days to complete.

I stopped the process, and restarted it for 1 index only -- 648 buckets using 1 TB of disk. After running for the last 18 hours, it's at 3% complete. So slow as to not really be usable.

12 servers in the cluster, 4 are new; all are:

• 20 core Xeons (2 threads each)
  • 22 1.6TB SSDs
  • 128 GB of RAM
  • Splunk 6.5.1
  • Avg load over the weekend was under 2

Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT:

> splunk btool server list clustering | grep max_peer
max_peer_build_load = 2
max_peer_rep_load = 5
max_peer_sum_rep_load = 5

Jon

0 Karma
1 Solution

twinspop
Influencer

The problem (apparently) was related to COLD storage being on NAS. Since restructuring our storage plans to get everything on local drives, data rebalance is a quick process.

View solution in original post

twinspop
Influencer

The problem (apparently) was related to COLD storage being on NAS. Since restructuring our storage plans to get everything on local drives, data rebalance is a quick process.

mattlucas719
Explorer

What is your retention policy and your replication factor?

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try to use the lower rebalance_threshold on the master to see if the rebalance performance improves. You can rebalance in multiple waves by increasing the rebalance_threshold.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/Indexer/Rebalancethecluster#Configure_the_data_reb...

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

Attempting at 0.5. I'll get back with results.

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Hah! @twinspop I seem to be following you from https://answers.splunk.com/answers/476015/whats-the-best-method-to-updatereplace-indexer-clu.html

I am in the same spot now and indexer rebalance is painfully slow. Did you find out the cause for this?

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

My cold storage was on NAS. Since having all stages (hot, warm, cold) on local drives, rebalance is plenty fast.

0 Karma

sk314
Builder

Hmmm - we have all our storage on local drives - except frozen/archive - which is on NFS. Does frozen/archive drive count?

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

No, frozen data isn't involved in data rebalance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...