Deployment Architecture

Can you differentiate between various Splunk servers using different colors?

lakromani
Builder

We are installing a larger Splunk setup.
It has a lot of index servers.
Search server.
Jobs/deploy server
Test server

Are there anyway to customize the very top header to see what server we are logged in to?
Today, we can see it by an url like http://splunk-jobs etc.

Different color on top bar would be nice.

I know I can make a custom app with an logo.png. But this would then only be showed when logging in.

0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@lakromani,

If you want to identify it in the login page itself, you could customize it in web.conf which would display customized messages for each environment. Reference : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/AdvancedDev/CustomizeLogin

For e.g.

[settings]
login_content = <font color="red">This is a <b>production server</b></color>

alt text

Once the user logged in , you could change the appearance by changing the appBar color by setting the value in User interface » Navigation menus » default and change <nav search_view="search" color="#FF5733">

From 7.1, this would only change the app Icon and the view name selection

alt text

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@lakromani,

If you want to identify it in the login page itself, you could customize it in web.conf which would display customized messages for each environment. Reference : https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.2/AdvancedDev/CustomizeLogin

For e.g.

[settings]
login_content = <font color="red">This is a <b>production server</b></color>

alt text

Once the user logged in , you could change the appearance by changing the appBar color by setting the value in User interface » Navigation menus » default and change <nav search_view="search" color="#FF5733">

From 7.1, this would only change the app Icon and the view name selection

alt text

Happy Splunking!

lakromani
Builder

The first thing helps for the login page.
Since I am running 7.1, app icon could be used.
But I would like to see all the time I am on the server, that this is my main server.
Example the top line should be green in any app, any view.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

you can also try customFavicon in web.conf. Most of the customization are based on app context. You could change the core splunk css but it will get overwritten by the upgrades

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

lakromani
Builder

Thanks. Not the perfect solution, but do works.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...