Deployment Architecture

Can we use a cluster member as a license master in Search Head Clustering?

spsrasru
Path Finder

we recently built a new splunk environment using search head clustering (6.2) and firewall rules are open from cluster members to all indexers deployer, deployment server and HFs. So i am planning to use a cluster member as license master.

Thanks,
Sam

1 Solution

NOUMSSI
Builder

Hi

It's possible to use cluster member as license master in SHC (6.2) but splunk recommend to use a search head as a licence master if you have one in your deployment.

All cluster members, including masters, peers, and search heads, need to
be in an Enterprise license pool, even if they're not expected to index any
data.
Cluster members must share the same licensing configuration

View solution in original post

NOUMSSI
Builder

Hi

It's possible to use cluster member as license master in SHC (6.2) but splunk recommend to use a search head as a licence master if you have one in your deployment.

All cluster members, including masters, peers, and search heads, need to
be in an Enterprise license pool, even if they're not expected to index any
data.
Cluster members must share the same licensing configuration

NaveenkumarFIS

May i know why Splunk recommends to use Search head as License Master ? Is their a reason why Search head is treated as Best License Manager ?

0 Karma

NOUMSSI
Builder

Thanks spsrasru. If you have anys question just come to me. I'm here to help you.

0 Karma

NOUMSSI
Builder

Cool spsrasru. Don't be affraid it will work.
Don't forget to vote and accept mys answer

spsrasru
Path Finder

Thanks NOUMSSI! I am using one of the search head (cluster memeber) as license master from search head cluster.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...