Deployment Architecture

Can the deployment server be used to deploy apps to a search head and also transforms/props/configuration to indexers?

shocko
Contributor

Can the deployment server be used to deploy apps/configuration to a search head and also transforms/props/configuration/apps to indexers? To date I'm only using it to delivery apps to universal forwarders.

Note: using Splunk Enterprise 8.2.5 on Windows. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @shocko,

yes it's possible but only if you haven't an Indexer Cluster or a Search Head Cluster, but anyway it isn't a good idea..

on SHs:

if some user change something in a dashboard or in a lookup, at the first check the value updated is resetted by the DS,

on IDXs:

if DS has to deploy some updates, it makes this at the same time, so you could have all the IDXs down at the same time.

Usually DS is used for Universal and Heavy Forwarders.

At least, I rarely see Splunk production systems on Windows, especially DS because it has many problems to deploy apps to Linux clients.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

shocko
Contributor

Great answer! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @shocko,

yes it's possible but only if you haven't an Indexer Cluster or a Search Head Cluster, but anyway it isn't a good idea..

on SHs:

if some user change something in a dashboard or in a lookup, at the first check the value updated is resetted by the DS,

on IDXs:

if DS has to deploy some updates, it makes this at the same time, so you could have all the IDXs down at the same time.

Usually DS is used for Universal and Heavy Forwarders.

At least, I rarely see Splunk production systems on Windows, especially DS because it has many problems to deploy apps to Linux clients.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...