Deployment Architecture

Can a deployment server direct client requests to another deployment server?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'd like to use a single DNS entry on all of my forwarders, and have the deployment server send traffic for my secondary environment to the secondary deployment server.

In the primary deployment server environment, where the DNS entries is pointing to, I tried setting up a tenants.conf

[tenant:dit]
whitelist.0 = secondary_environment_hostname_prefix*

and a pubsub.conf

[pubsub-server:dit]
targetUri=secondary_deployment_server:18089

The documentation gives hints at this topology, although mostly focuses on handling multiple serverclass.conf files.

I’ve been reviewing these pages:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/Deploy/Deployinmulti-tenantenvironments
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.4/Admin/Tenantsconf
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Pubsubconf

I saw some documentation on how to make one deployment server a client of the other, but I doesn’t sound like that is an appropriate solution for what I’m trying to achieve.

Any creative ideas out there?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

rturk
Builder

Hi SloshBurch,

There's a few different interpretations of what you're after here. Just to confirm, is this the topology you're after?

alt text

1. Forwarders from different departments request updates from the same deployment server (depsvr.blah.com)
  2. depsvr.blah.com forwards the user requests to other deployment servers depending on the subdomain
  3. Forwarders get the apps specific from their domain

So depsvr.blah.com is never actually handing out configs to clients in the subdomains.

(I got bored in a meeting 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, but I am also trying to have certain forwarders pull config from the secondary deployment server while everything else pulls from the primary.

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

Hi SloshBurch,

There's a few different interpretations of what you're after here. Just to confirm, is this the topology you're after?

alt text

1. Forwarders from different departments request updates from the same deployment server (depsvr.blah.com)
  2. depsvr.blah.com forwards the user requests to other deployment servers depending on the subdomain
  3. Forwarders get the apps specific from their domain

So depsvr.blah.com is never actually handing out configs to clients in the subdomains.

(I got bored in a meeting 🙂

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

R.Turk - you're my new favorite splunker 😉 Awesome use of the stencil! That's exactly is with an important quirk: depsvr.dep1.blah.com in the same host as depsrv.blah.com while depsvr.dept2.blah.com is a DIFFERENT host than depsrv.blah.com.

0 Karma

grijhwani
Motivator

You could conceivably produce an app bundle that provided a new deploymentclient.conf. Whilst that would then produce a permanent change until the other server provided a reversion configuration, you could tailor it on the primary with your serverclass configuration on your "primary" deployment server to target the override only those servers which needed it.

Indeed, I have been thinking about deploying just such a configuration across our estate for future flexibility.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I may have lost you on a few of the details - Once the forwarders have that app, they will be pointing to that secondary deployment server but will not be able to revert back to the primary if the secondary goes offline. Right?

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

It sounds like you want to clone deployment servers, and have DNS point to the one that is available, and have the forwarder configured to query DNS instead of using a static path to the server. Is that right?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...