Deployment Architecture

Can I install both cluster master and SHC(Search Head Cluster)-deployer on the same machine/server?

manjunathmeti
Champion

I have deployment server to push apps to forwarders, cluster master to push apps to indexers and SHC deployer to push apps to search heads. But I have shortage of machines/vms. So can I use single machine for both cluster master and deployer?

0 Karma

Steve_G_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The documentation confirms that you can run the cluster master and the deployer on the same instance, depending on the master's load:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Indexer/Systemrequirements#Additional_roles_for_th...

That material includes specifics on load considerations.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @manjunathmeti,

Yes you can ( I am running CM and Deployer on same splunk machine (same splunk instance)) but it depends on your Indexer cluster as well if Indexer Cluster is not heavily loaded then you can run Deployer on same splunk instance.

Thanks,
Harshil

manjunathmeti
Champion

Thanks for the answer Harshil. You said it depends on indexer/cluster is heavily loaded or not. Any reasons?

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

If the Cluster Master is heavily loaded to manage buckets on all Indexers then when you push the bundle to search head cluster from same splunk instance as Deployer it will create more load on server and it might create problem for Indexer Cluster due to resource unavailability.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...