Deployment Architecture

Can I force Splunk to drp core in a specific location?

matt
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is there a way to specify an alternate location for a Splunk forwarder to do its Splunk crash dumps?

0 Karma
1 Solution

pde
Path Finder

Yes, this is a function of the OS. In solaris, you use coreadm to instruct the system where to place core dump files. In the few versions of linux that I know anything about, it's a sysctl. You'll add, say, kernel.core_pattern=/var/core/core_%h_%e_%u_%g_%t_%p to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot.

View solution in original post

mzax
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No. There is no way to tell splunk where to place the crash*.log files. You can control the location of some other log files from: $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/log.cfg More at: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Splunklogfiles

0 Karma

pde
Path Finder

Yes, this is a function of the OS. In solaris, you use coreadm to instruct the system where to place core dump files. In the few versions of linux that I know anything about, it's a sysctl. You'll add, say, kernel.core_pattern=/var/core/core_%h_%e_%u_%g_%t_%p to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot.

Branden
Builder

I asked Splunk tech support this very question. They told me that Splunk will dump its core wherever the operating system specifies.

One recommendation someone had was to write a wrapper around the splunk binary. On our AIX system, it looks like this:

splunk.sh:

#!/bin/ksh

ulimit -c 0 #disable core dumps

exec /splunk/bin/splunk $1

The ulimit -c 0 option tells the operating system not to make a core dump. (Technically, it creates a core dump of 0 bytes in size, but it never seems to make an actual core file).

So when you start Splunk, you'd do: /splunk/bin/splunk.sh start

(Note: because of the $1, this only works for commands that have one parameter.)

The other option was to rename the splunk binary to splunk_real, then call the above shell script "splunk". That option didn't sit well with me, however.

Hope that helps!

Branden
Builder

Nice tip, thanks!

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can have your script pass all parameters by just changing $1 to $*

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...