Deployment Architecture

Are these search head hardware specs sufficient for disk usage with search acceleration, summaries, and search head clustering?

jackgordon

The reference hardware for a Splunk Search Head (as of Feb 2016) recommends the following:

2 x 300GB, 10,000 RPM SAS hard disks, configured in RAID 1

Will this actually be sufficient for multiple TB/day of data when there are many accelerated searches and summaries? With Search Head clustering?

I'm thinking at least 3 Search Heads for around 3/TB of data/day, but the size of the disks recommended concern me.

I know it's a moving target with a lot of caveats, so how does one approach sizing Search Head disk utlization?

0 Karma

jplumsdaine22
Influencer

The amount of TB a day should not impact the search head - rather its the number of searches that will be run that will make a difference. How many users and searches will you have is a more important question unless ou're planning to do the indexing and searching on the same server, in which case - you're crazy 🙂

At that level of licensing your splunk sales rep should be very friendly indeed - give Splunk a call they should be able to give you some good suggestions that they then will be on the hook for !

Also if this is a fresh installation, look at search head clustrering from the start - you may want to think about a larger pool of less capable servers

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...