Deployment Architecture

Are there best practices for configuring a Splunk search head cluster behind an F5 load balancer?

notiskonto
Engager

Hi,

We are experience some issues with clustered Search heads that are behind an F5 loadbalancer. Is there any Best practice guide for configuring Splunk clusters behind F5?

Thanks

Notis

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't think there is a definite best practices guide (yet). But, one of the important load-balancer requirements for Splunk SHC is persistence. Each user session must go to the same search head for the duration of the session. Clearly F5 allows for many types of session persistence, and some work better than others.

I would SUGGEST you try cookie persistence. My test indexer here sends a session cookie named session_id_8000. I would suggest checking to see what the name of the cookie is that your SHC returns and then configure the F5 to use that cookie for session persistence.

vince2010091
Path Finder

Hi,
If you have enabled SSL, persistance with SSL session is my advice
Regards

0 Karma

notiskonto
Engager

Thank you for your comment. I will add this configuration to the F5.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...