Deployment Architecture

Are there any dangers in changing the splunk user password on a deployment server?

todd_r_martin21
Explorer

I am trying to restart the deployment server service as a root user.

./splunk reload deploy-server

I get an error

Could not create splunk settings directory at '/root/ .splunk

So I tried to sudo su splunk (to switch to splunk user)
Tried again and it will run but prompts for username/password. I never created this user and don't know the password.
Since I have root on the box, I can easily change the splunk user's password. however, with great power.........bla bla bla..
Are there any dangers in changing the splunk user password on the deployment server?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

When you run ./splunk reload deploy-server, the user you use is the UI user, quite often, admin. So, it's not related to the Linux user which runs the Splunk processes...

View solution in original post

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

When you run ./splunk reload deploy-server, the user you use is the UI user, quite often, admin. So, it's not related to the Linux user which runs the Splunk processes...

todd_r_martin21
Explorer

Thank you for your explanation, I was over thinking it as a Linux perms issue.
I ran the command as the splunk user and entered a username /password that was configured on the UI with admin priv.

reloaded w/o issue.

client inputs.conf is still old. so hoping that the client will phone home and download the new file form the DS.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

It sounds like you are being prompted for Splunk credentials. To reset Splunk's admin password, rename $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/passwd to something else, then restart splunk. You will then be able to execute the "splunk reload deploy-server" command with admin/changeme.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...