Deployment Architecture

After Upgrade to 8.2.2, "WinEvent -> Defender" log stops receiving / sending?

PatrikL
Observer

Hi!

I've set up the following "app" to be delployed on my Universal Forwarders for windows:

"[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational]

index = windefender

disabled = false

evt_resolve_ad_obj = 1"

This has worked flawlessly for years until this week when I started to NOT receive any updates from that log until restart of the Universal Forwarder.

At first I thought it had something to do with that we had updated all UFs to 8.2.2 too but today when I did some investigation I also noticed that one of the UF wasn't updated and still used version 7.2.
So my guess is that it has something to to with the splunk enterprise installation/upgrade (upgraded to 8.2.2 for about 1½weeks ago. from 7.4).

Its not that the forwarder stops completely because I still receive logging from the Security, System etc. logs in the event viewer.

It seems to just be the "defender" log and when I do a restart of the splunk service it will start to send again.

Have I missed something or should I put an ticket to splunk?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

mhoogcarspel_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I only just seen this post, but this issue has been reported and is being investigated (ticket with Splunk Engineering SPL-212687)

As far as I understand this is specific to Defender (and potentially some specific versions) and at least known to be  triggered by a cleanup task that defender has in the Task Scheduler:
Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Defender -> Windows Defender Cache Maintenance

0 Karma

hsynli

Has there been an update and/or resolution to this issue? Or do we know the root of the issue? I have a similar, most probably the same issue. It seems to me Splunk forwarder stops sending logs when the defender platform or engine is updated (event codes 2002 and 2014, but not limited to). Logs start being sent to Splunk as soon as the splunkforwarder is restarted.

0 Karma

mhoogcarspel_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@hsynli wrote:

Has there been an update and/or resolution to this issue? Or do we know the root of the issue? I have a similar, most probably the same issue. It seems to me Splunk forwarder stops sending logs when the defender platform or engine is updated (event codes 2002 and 2014, but not limited to). Logs start being sent to Splunk as soon as the splunkforwarder is restarted.

That matches the issue.

Fixed in 8.2.7 and above, and also in 9.0.0 and abovehttps://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.7/ReleaseNotes/Fixedissues#Universal_forwarder_issu...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...