Deployment Architecture

AWS Smartstore Architecture - i3

johnansett
Communicator

Hello community!

I am looking at various configurations options for AWS BYOL running ES.  We'll be leveraging SmartStore and just had a couple of questions on the architecture:

Are we better off with twice as many i3.4xlarge (e.g. 10x for 1TB) or half as many i3.8xlarge (e.g. 5x)?

Given the ephemeral nature are the i3 disks configured in a RAID0?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'd recommend going with the i3en instances actually. Splunk Cloud is in the process of moving to these, as compute and storage is a bit denser.

Regarding if you want to use raid on these or not, this is pretty much up to you and depends on the instance types you use. If you use a i3 4x vs 8x your getting 2 vs 4 1.9tb disks. If you drop those in RAID, you loose space.  If you go raid, which we do in Splunk Cloud, you need to size your cache appropriately. Which usually means adding more indexers.

That being said, if you have autoscaling or automation setup properly, your indexers could loose an instance and rebuild with someone minimal impact to the cluster. Since all data, aside from hot, is in S3, adding new indexers and rebalancing is pretty minimal system impact..

I'd go larger instances here..

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...