Deployment Architecture

2-tier deployment server topology causes forwarders to restart every a few minutes.

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have a Global deployment server which pushes apps to the Regional deployment servers in AMER, ASIA and EU. Forwarders in each region connect to the Regional DS.
The forwarders appears to be downloading apps successfully but they keep on downloading the same and restart themselves even if there's no changes in apps.

Checksum for apps keeps on changing for the same apps that are supposed to be static. We only do apply updates on the Global DS manually only when it's needed.
Please help.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We found the Regional DS errors out with "Application does not exist", which happens the regional DS tries to install the apps and fails after a download. Then Regional DS repeats the Download-install-fail process even if it's successfully downloaded apps for its forwarders. Forwarders keep downloading the apps as the checksums of apps changing each time on the Regional DS - even if there is nothing changed but datetime of files. - This has beenworked around by adding "crossServerChecksum = true" in regonal DS. This stopped the forwarders repeating restarting but still the regional deployment servers repeat "Download-install-fail" this can be controlled by adding "stateOnClient = noop" as it, as a deployment server doesn't need to install and change the state.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sylim_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We found the Regional DS errors out with "Application does not exist", which happens the regional DS tries to install the apps and fails after a download. Then Regional DS repeats the Download-install-fail process even if it's successfully downloaded apps for its forwarders. Forwarders keep downloading the apps as the checksums of apps changing each time on the Regional DS - even if there is nothing changed but datetime of files. - This has beenworked around by adding "crossServerChecksum = true" in regonal DS. This stopped the forwarders repeating restarting but still the regional deployment servers repeat "Download-install-fail" this can be controlled by adding "stateOnClient = noop" as it, as a deployment server doesn't need to install and change the state.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...