Dashboards & Visualizations

replace - search reference command questions

jluste
Path Finder

Please see URL that I am referring to: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/SearchReference/Replace

I am trying to utilize a log that has url values that have been percent encoded. I want to replace these encoding characters with their decoded meanings. Example: We%20alerted%20our%20team%20to%20the%20issue.%20We%20apologize%20for%20this%20inconvenience.%20Please%20try%20again%20later.

Based on the above link's examples, I tried the following:

| replace "%20" with " " in errorMessage | top errorMessage

The search runs but I still have these characters in my errorMessage field. Eventually I'll want something like this:

| replace "%20" with " ", "%2C" with ",", "%27" with "'" in field1 field2 field3

What am I doing wrong?

Tags (4)
0 Karma

jluste
Path Finder

I've figured out another solution that works for this specific example. using eval and the urldecode() function.

I did a ... | eval field1=urldecode(field1) and this works perfectly fine for me. Only issue is that I have to explicitly identify fields rather than have all fields taken care of at once. I tried doing a ... | eval _raw=urldecode(_raw) but this only works for the raw results and doesn't get updated to the splunk auto or manually extracted fields. D'oh!

Thanks!

0 Karma

davecroto
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Common issue, use sed mode in rex

Example

rex field=ccnumber mode=sed "s/(\d{4}-){4}/XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX/g".

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...