Dashboards & Visualizations

Why won't data passing from global search to child search not displaying data on dashboard?

AKG1_old1
Builder

Hello,

In my dashboard, I am using one global search and multiple sub search queries(which use global search query data).

Issue is data is not getting displayed on dashboard, but when i click on search button its append sub search to global search and displaying results. Now sure why its not getting displayed on dashboard.

Global Search

<search id="globalSearch">
    <query>eventtype=mlc_live host=$host_token$ sourcetype=tool_lifecycle </query>
    <earliest>$time_token.earliest$</earliest>
    <latest>$time_token.latest$</latest>
  </search>

Sub Search

<search base="globalSearch">
  <query> | eval ScriptName2=ScriptName |  rex field="ScriptName" "^\S+_(?&lt;ScriptName&gt;[^\.]+)\.\S+" | rex field="ScriptName2" "^\S+\.sh\s*(?&lt;Instance&gt;\S+)" | rex field="ActivityType" "^#(?&lt;ActivityType&gt;[^\.]+);" | eval ActivityType=if(isNOTNULL(ActivityType),ActivityType,"NA") | search ScriptName IN (*$script_name_token$*) AND ActivityType = "*$activity_type_token$*" AND Status = "*$status_token$*"  | table _time ScriptName Instance StartDate StartTime EndDate EndTime Duration UniqueIdentifier Status ActivityType | sort 0 _time desc | dedup UniqueIdentifier</query>
</search>

alt text

Labels (1)
1 Solution

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI,

I'm just putting extraction into base search. Can you please try if It is not affecting your business logic ??

<query>eventtype=mlc_live host=$host_token$ sourcetype=tool_lifecycle | eval ScriptName2=ScriptName |  rex field="ScriptName" "^\S+_(?&lt;ScriptName&gt;[^\.]+)\.\S+" | rex field="ScriptName2" "^\S+\.sh\s*(?&lt;Instance&gt;\S+)" | rex field="ActivityType" "^#(?&lt;ActivityType&gt;[^\.]+);" | table  _time ScriptName Instance StartDate StartTime EndDate EndTime Duration UniqueIdentifier Status ActivityType </query>
   </search>

<query>eval ActivityType=if(isNOTNULL(ActivityType),ActivityType,"NA") | search ScriptName IN (*$script_name_token$*) AND ActivityType = "*$activity_type_token$*" AND Status = "*$status_token$*"  | table _time ScriptName Instance StartDate StartTime EndDate EndTime Duration UniqueIdentifier Status ActivityType | sort 0 _time desc | dedup UniqueIdentifier</query>
 </search>

Please correct my syntax if any typo.

Thanks

View solution in original post

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI,

I'm just putting extraction into base search. Can you please try if It is not affecting your business logic ??

<query>eventtype=mlc_live host=$host_token$ sourcetype=tool_lifecycle | eval ScriptName2=ScriptName |  rex field="ScriptName" "^\S+_(?&lt;ScriptName&gt;[^\.]+)\.\S+" | rex field="ScriptName2" "^\S+\.sh\s*(?&lt;Instance&gt;\S+)" | rex field="ActivityType" "^#(?&lt;ActivityType&gt;[^\.]+);" | table  _time ScriptName Instance StartDate StartTime EndDate EndTime Duration UniqueIdentifier Status ActivityType </query>
   </search>

<query>eval ActivityType=if(isNOTNULL(ActivityType),ActivityType,"NA") | search ScriptName IN (*$script_name_token$*) AND ActivityType = "*$activity_type_token$*" AND Status = "*$status_token$*"  | table _time ScriptName Instance StartDate StartTime EndDate EndTime Duration UniqueIdentifier Status ActivityType | sort 0 _time desc | dedup UniqueIdentifier</query>
 </search>

Please correct my syntax if any typo.

Thanks

AKG1_old1
Builder

Great !! Thanks. Can you pls mark it as Answer.

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

shifted to Answer.

rjthibod
Champion

You are not following many of the best practices for base/global searches and post-processing.

1. Passing raw events to a post-processing search, i.e., not transforming the data in the base search
  2. Didn't indicate the base search what fields are needed in post-processing
  3. Not limiting the search results in any way

See here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.0/Viz/Savedsearches#Post-process_searches_2

You need to rethink your use case and strip down the base searches to use more suitable usage.

AKG1_old1
Builder

Thank you for clearing concept about base/global search. It helped 🙂

kamlesh_vaghela
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI

There is no need to put earliest & latest in sub search. Can you please then?

Does your sub search panel shows No rec Found Or Waiting for input??

Thanks

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

Thanks for reply. I tried by removing earliest and latest time but its not working. Its showing "No Results Found"

0 Karma

sabeeshvk
Observer

I added a table command with the required fields and that resolved it. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...