Dashboards & Visualizations

not seeing Data preview option in splunk 4.3

kml_uvce
Builder

I have upgraded splunk to splunk version 4.3 but I am not seeing Data preview option as in this
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.3/Data/Overviewofdatapreview

Tags (1)
1 Solution

DerekB
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

tpsplunk
Communicator

I was able to get this working with the help of Splunk Support. it's a known issue with the splunk_datapreview app and search head pooling (shp).

here's the work around:
- go to one of your search heads, find the splunk_datapreview app (should be in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps) and copy it to my seach head pool share's etc/apps/
- restart each search head

after i performed the work around the data preview screen did appear as expected when i used the Add Data dialogs.

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've updated the relevant upgrade and troubleshooting topics in the Distributed Deployment Manual to make this point more clear: "Caution: The migration utility warns you of apps that need to be copied to shared storage for pooled search heads when you upgrade them. It does not, however, copy them for you. You must manually copy all updated apps - including apps that ship with Splunk (such as the Search app and Data Preview) - to shared storage during the upgrade process. Failure to do so can cause problems with Splunk's user interface after the upgrade is complete."

imrago
Contributor

In the Manager->Data inputs just click on new Files and directories and you will be presented with it.

0 Karma

tpsplunk
Communicator

that is correct, ChrisG. I did not get the wizard. turns out it's a bug, see my answer below

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So, just to be clear: when you click Add Data and choose the type of data you want to add, you don't see a wizard page that gives you the choice to "Preview data before indexing" or "Skip preview?"

0 Karma

tpsplunk
Communicator

upgraded to 4.3.2 (build 123586) and I also do not see the data preview option. IIRC we started on splunk 4.1 and have upgraded over time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...