Dashboards & Visualizations

how to make an input form independant of other inputs.

schou87
Path Finder

I have 3 panels and three inputs ( two multiselect and one search input box). The first two panels in first row are column charts and the third panel element in second row is a table . I want to use the two multiselect dropdowns to populate data in all the 3 panels. But the select text input should only affect results of third  panel after data is populated by the dropdowns.

Is there a way I can use search input after information is populated as a result of the dropdowns and get the required information. 

Right now, I am getting "No result found "in the third panel which is actioned by both dropdowns and  the search input box . 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @schou87,

As I said, use a default value (*) for the third input and see the results.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @schou87,

I don't see any automated way to do what you ask, as a workaround you could populate the two dropdowns using a default value for the third input and eventually after panel's completion insert a value in the text search and execute a new search.

Actually I can't completely understand what you mean by "use search input after information is populated as a result of the dropdowns and get the required information": you want to have the results before using the third input, after use, or both ?

About the "No results found", to be helped you should share the search of the this panel and the inputs.

Last question: do you have "No results found" after the use of the thirtd input or also before (with a default value)?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

you want to have the results before using the third input, after use, or both ? - after selecting input from dropdowns, once data is populated I want to be able to use search to filter results

do you have "No results found" after the use of the thirtd input or also before (with a default value)? - there is no default value in search as of now . Below is xml for the panel in question

<row depends="$showChart1$">
<panel>
<title>Details of the Pending Files - - As per selection</title>
<input type="text" token="ID" searchWhenChanged="true">
<label>ID</label>
</input>
<table>
<title>Detailed report </title>
<search>
<query>base query Date IN($Date$) Template($Template$) ID IN ($ID$) earliest=-2h@m |  dedup SYSID | eval TIME_SPENT=round(((now()-strptime(T1,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600),2)| table field1,field2, field3, TIME_SPENT </query>
</search>
<option name="count">10</option>
<option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
<option name="drilldown">none</option>
<option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
<option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
<option name="rowNumbers">true</option>
<option name="totalsRow">false</option>
<option name="wrap">false</option>
</table>
</panel>
</row>

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Build your search for the third panel so that the values from the dropdowns are used before the value from the text input

0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

Below is the xml for panel in Question. I have used panel specific forms already.

<row depends="$showChart1$">
<panel>
<title>Details of the Pending Files - - As per selection</title>
<input type="text" token="ID" searchWhenChanged="true">
<label>ID</label>
</input>
<table>
<title>Detailed report </title>
<search>
<query>base query Date IN($Date$) Template($Template$) ID IN ($ID$) earliest=-2h@m |  dedup SYSID | eval TIME_SPENT=round(((now()-strptime(T1,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))/3600),2)| table field1,field2, field3, TIME_SPENT </query>
</search>
<option name="count">10</option>
<option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
<option name="drilldown">none</option>
<option name="percentagesRow">false</option>
<option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
<option name="rowNumbers">true</option>
<option name="totalsRow">false</option>
<option name="wrap">false</option>
</table>
</panel>
</row>

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @schou87,

did you use commas between the words you inserted in the text input?

The IN operator requires that you divide terms to search using commas.

A little hint: when you have to share code in a Community message (as in your last message), please use the Insert/Edit code sample button (</>) to better display it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

Hi, I have only one token to be passed for a particular field. Hence there are no commas required.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @schou87,

if you put only one word in the text input have you results?

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

When I put a value in search text input, nothing comes up.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you tried opening the search in a search tab and see whether the search query makes sense?

0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

The search query makes sense . I am just little skeptical if the tokens are passed in the right way or not in the query for my purpose.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could try using a token modifier which will put the token value in quotes for example

IN ($ID|s$)
0 Karma

schou87
Path Finder

I am using the tokens in similar way for the other chart elements that use the dropdown. And they seem to work perfectly.

The panel say "No results found" when i refresh the page is because there is no id input to begin with as it filters data based on default which ID = null although the other two token conditions are met.

How do I have the infomation populated already using the dropdown tokens and then use the text input to filter data.?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @schou87,

As I said, use a default value (*) for the third input and see the results.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

schou87
Path Finder

Worked perfect. Guess I was thinking too far ahead and missed a simple thing.

Thanks @gcusello 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Or have the change handler for the text input set a different token with the complete phrase of the search 

<set token="in_token">ID IN ($ID$)</set>

and use this token in the search

Template($Template$) $in_token$ earliest=-2h@m
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...