Dashboards & Visualizations

creating a line graph

appmandan
Path Finder

I am having some problems creating a simple line graph outside of the "Advanced Charting" and "Build Report" features. I'm trying to build a simple trendline that shows # of logs per day over a 14 day period. When I try to create the chart in a dashboard panel, it's giving me a bar graph. How do I change the bar graph to a line graph? Is there a parameter I specify in the search?

Also, if anyone knows of any good basic chart making tutorials, I would appreciate it. A lot of topics and examples I'm finding on here are more complex than I'm looking for.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am not aware of a search command option that allows to specify a type of graph (line, bar, column etc). However, you can edit the XML of that panel to include an option like this:

<chart>
<option name="charting.chart">line</option>
</chart>

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

View solution in original post

_d_
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am not aware of a search command option that allows to specify a type of graph (line, bar, column etc). However, you can edit the XML of that panel to include an option like this:

<chart>
<option name="charting.chart">line</option>
</chart>

Hope this helps.

> please upvote and accept answer if you find it useful - thanks!

appmandan
Path Finder

Thanks, I figured it was something simple.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...