Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a dashboard that tracks 1 or 2 log feeds?

ngwodo
Path Finder

you are to create a dashboard that tracks log feeds

​so I imagine it would look like a table and have things like

log feed  |  last seen and it would be colored based on some threshhold (last seen 24 hours red, last seen 10 mins green). It will include:

1. color for categorizing critical levels
    2. email alerting
    3. can start with small features
Labels (1)
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes - the minutesago calculation allows the colours to be set appropriately

View solution in original post

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

step 1 - when you run this query on search, do you get the logs/events you wanted?

step 2 - if yes, then, create a dashboard with this query and then you can plan about the coloring. 

step 3 - if no, then, lets troubleshoot this query until you find out your expected logs. 

0 Karma

ngwodo
Path Finder

The following is what I need to achieve:

you are to create a dashboard that tracks log feeds

​so I imagine it would look like a table and have things like

log feed  |  last seen and it would be colored based on some threshhold (last seen 24 hours red, last seen 10 mins green). It will include:

1. color for categorizing critical levels
    2. email alerting
    3. can start with small features

I have this splunk Query:

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where index=* earliest=-48h by host | eval minutesago=round((now()-latest)/60,0)

DO you think this query would be very proper for what I am trying to achieve? I have some issues with the color part of it. I did try using visualization single value 42 for the color but I do not see it. I need your help all it.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There as always with splunk a number of different ways to do this. For example, you could have a panel for each log feed with a "<single>" element in each. The data in the single could be driven by the number of days since the latest entry in the log. The number displayed could be coloured depending on its value giving you the various levels of threshold you want.

ngwodo
Path Finder

Please what would be the Splunk query to achieve it?

ngwodo
Path Finder

Please how do you do the coloring? Do you do it by editing XML?

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, edit the XML Add a couple of options to the single

<option name="rangeValues">[0,10,20,30]</option>
<option name="rangeColors">["0x00FF00","0xFFFF00","0x0000FF","0xFF0000"]</option>

You choose appropriate values and colours

ngwodo
Path Finder

I got warning message when I added those couple of lines to the XML. Why do I get the warning error message when I edit XML for the colors?

ngwodo
Path Finder

Thanks. What about the splunk queries to monitor these logs in 24 hours and also 10 minutes.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval secondsago=now()-_time

So you can set your ranges to be 10*60 (for 10 minutes) and 24*60*60 (for 24 hours) etc.

ngwodo
Path Finder

Please do I have to include something like this before the eval command?

index=main source=windowseventlog sourcetype=access_combined_wcookie | eval secondsago=now()-_time

Please how would to include the splunk time range you specified in your last command in the querries?

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The first part is your search. This retrieves (matching) event records from your index. The eval will create an additional field for each event for you to use. It would probably be better to do it this way

index=main source=windowseventlog sourcetype=access_combined_wcookie 
| head 1
| eval minutesago=round((now()-_time)/60,0)

Since you are interested in when the latest event occurred. Splunk should have put a timestamp on each record in the _time field. This eval calculates  the number of minutes ago that the event was based on this timestamp.

In your single, either by editing the XML or by modifying the format of the single in the dashboard editor, your set the range for the different colours you want e.g 0, 10, 30,, 60 etc. for 10 minute, 30 minute, 60 minute thresholds

ngwodo
Path Finder

Thanks. what splunk queries would you add to the previous query you wrote to specify different colors for 24 hours and then for 10 mins?

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The query is OK - you configure the colours by editing the dashboard and formatting the singleCapture.PNG

ngwodo
Path Finder

Thanks. I configured the single value 42 for colors but the green color is not showing. How do I get the green color to be showing for 24 hours threshold and how do I get the red color to show for the 10 minutes threshold? Please assist with queries or visualization configurations.

0 Karma

ngwodo
Path Finder

Thanks. I wrote this query:

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where index=* earliest=-24h by host
| eval recent = if(latest > relative_time(now(),"-5m"),1,0), realLatest = strftime(latest,"%c")
| where recent=0

Question: Do you think this query will answer my original question of:

Writing a query that will be used to create a dashboard tracking 1 or 2 log feeds that would be colored based on some threshhold (last seen 24 hours red, last seen 10 mins green) ? Please add to the query if there is anything missing. I added the lines for colors in the XML edit for the dashboard but it is giving me validation error message. Your help would be appreciated.

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want to use tstats try:

| tstats latest(_time) as latest where index=* earliest=-48h by host
| eval minutesago=round((now()-latest)/60,0)

Then set the colour ranges for the minutesago column as appropriateCapture.PNG 

Obviously, this still only goes back 48 hours so if your latest entry is older than that, you would not see it

ngwodo
Path Finder

Thanks. Do I also set the minuteago for 10 mins just like the 48 hours?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes - the minutesago calculation allows the colours to be set appropriately

ngwodo
Path Finder

I also created 2 Alerts in Splunk web to send me an email based on the threshold of 24 hours and 10 minutes. Is that the correct way of doing it? Please let me know.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ngwodo
Path Finder
Spoiler
Thanks. It works. I will keep you updated when I get a feedback from customer.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...