Dashboards & Visualizations

can I rename a dashboard?

gmonroe
Explorer

I have already created a dashboard, but want to give it a more accurate title. Can I rename a dashboard after it's already been created?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

gmonroe
Explorer

Does this also change the name that appears in the list of dashboard under Manager > User Interface > Views or just what's viewed on the dashboard itself?

0 Karma

gmonroe
Explorer

perfect! thank you!

0 Karma

mattness
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The title of the dashboard will change on the dashboard, and it will change in the navigation (for example, what appears in the Dashboards & Views dropdown at the top of the Search view). But it won't change the name on the Views page in Manager.

If you really want to change the title in Manager one option would be to clone the dashboard via the Views page in Manager, give the new, identical dashboard the correct title, and then delete the old dashboard.

mattness
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can rename dashboards through one of two methods; both are available via Splunk Web. Both methods require that you have write permissions for the dashboard.

At The Dashboard Level

Change the Edit toggle on the right-hand side of the dashboard from Off to On (just click On).

Click Edit XML. You'll see a view of the XML behind the dashboard.

If your dashboard is built with simple XML you'll see a <dashboard> tag. If it uses advanced XML it'll begin with <view template="dashboard.html">. Either way this should be followed by a title bounded by two <label> tags. Edit the title to your preference and click Save.

In Manager

Navigate to Manager > User Interface > Views. You should see a list of your dashboards (note they're sorted by app context; be sure you're looking at the dashboards for the app you're working with).

Click the name for the dashboard in question. This will take you to a view of the XML behind the dashboard, as with the previous method, which you can edit and save in exactly the same way as described above.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...