Dashboards & Visualizations

XML editor in Splunk doesn't like angle brackets in searches

cphair
Builder

Hello,

I'm running the following search out of an Advanced XML dashboard in Splunk 4.3, build 115073.

index=winevents Type=Error OR Type=Warning SourceName="Application Error" EventCode=1000 | rex field=Message "Faulting application name: (?<Application>[\w\.]*)" | stats count(Application) as Faults by host,Application | sort -Faults

It works fine when run directly from the search app, but when I copy it into a HiddenSearch in Splunk's XML editor, the editor highlights the terminating param, module, and view tags in red and won't let me save the dashboard. The message is "Encountered the following error while trying to update: In handle 'views': Not valid XML."

The problem is the Application tag and its surrounding angle brackets in the rex section. If I remove the tag, the XML becomes valid again, but then the rex syntax is broken. If I modify the search code to use the HTML entities for the brackets, the dashboard works. I believe it's an XML editor bug to flag this as invalid syntax since I'm clearly not changing the XML tags. Can the syntax checker be made smarter so that it ignores everything within a tag?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To be valid XML in the view, you must XML escape it. You can do this character by character or using CDATA.

To do this character by character, replace < with &lt; and > with &gt;. You also have to escape ", ' and &, with &quot;, &apos; and &amp; respectively.

To use CDATA, wrap the whole search with: <![CDATA[ and ]]>.

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To be valid XML in the view, you must XML escape it. You can do this character by character or using CDATA.

To do this character by character, replace < with &lt; and > with &gt;. You also have to escape ", ' and &, with &quot;, &apos; and &amp; respectively.

To use CDATA, wrap the whole search with: <![CDATA[ and ]]>.

cphair
Builder

I figured out the & lt; substitution halfway through writing my question, so I was more curious about why the editor was unhappy. I didn't realize this was a limitation of XML parsing in general. Thanks for the reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...