Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is my dropdown not populating a field value as expected?

tkwaller
Builder

*Hello
I have a populating search of:

index=api host=*XXX* requestURI="/xxx/xx/xxx/*" xyz=true | rename clientIP AS clientip | lookup dnslookup clientip OUTPUT clienthost | transaction transactionId maxspan=10s | search "Inbound" OR "Outbound" | eval Proc=if(proc = "null", "NONE", proc) | stats count by Proc

the search returns logs like:

2016-12-07 12:00:38,285 INFO MessageProcessor-123 com.domain.platform.stuff.stuff - className=CookieBasedAuthHandler method=handleRequest js_request=true requestURI=/xxx/xxx/v3/123456789?mode=tools&ucm=true&proc=null requestMethod=GET transactionId=123456789 token_validation_status=success

2016-12-07 12:00:38,290 DEBUG PassThroughMessageProcessor-386 org.wso2.carbon.api.gateway.stuff.stuff.ExtensionHandler - Inbound API call from client to gateway:  appName=Application , userName=email@domain.com , transactionId=123456789, requestURI=/xxx/xxx/xx/123456789?mode=tools&ucm=true&proc=null , requestTime=Wed Dec 07 12:00:38 UTC 2016 , clientIP=xxx.xx.xxx

2016-12-07 12:00:38,301 DEBUG MessageProcessor-347 org.wso2.carbon.api.gateway.stuff.stuff - Outbound API call from gateway to client:  appName=Application , userName=email@domain.com , transactionId=123456789, requestURI=/xxx/xxx/xx/123456789?mode=tools&ucm=true&proc=null , requestTime=Wed Dec 07 12:00:38 UTC 2016 , statusCode=200 , EndPointURL=http://api-xxx.xxx.com/catalog-xxx/xx/xxxx

the field proc is what I would like to use in the dropdown. Currently its always the value of the literal "null" but will eventually be other values.

In the top search I eval'd the proc field, just to make sure what I was doing was working. So if proc was the literal null change it to NONEand if not use the value of proc which works but ideally I'd like to not use the eval.

Proc    count
NONE    259

but the dropdown never populates with this value.

Hers the dropdown code:

<label>PROC</label>
    <search>
      <query>index=api host=*XXX* requestURI="/xxx/xx/xxx/*" ucm=true | rename clientIP AS clientip | lookup dnslookup clientip OUTPUT clienthost | transaction transactionId maxspan=10s | search "Inbound" OR "Outbound" | eval Proc=if(proc = "null", "NONE", proc) | stats count by Proc</query>
      <earliest>-7d@h</earliest>
      <latest>now</latest>
    </search>
    <fieldForLabel>ProcName</fieldForLabel>
    <fieldForValue>ProcName</fieldForValue>
  </input>
0 Karma
1 Solution

rjthibod
Champion

Add the following to the end of your query

... | rename Proc as ProcName | table ProcName

View solution in original post

rjthibod
Champion

Add the following to the end of your query

... | rename Proc as ProcName | table ProcName

tkwaller
Builder

Yes indeed that worked. So this was an issue with me not using the fieldForLabel or fieldForValue? So really it was creating the search and assigning the value to the fieldForValue field?

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

Yes, the field you want to use in the dropdown needs to match the value in fieldForValue, I pretty much always use the same field for "fieldForLabel" as you did.

tkwaller
Builder

I knew it was something easy I was missing, just needed some new eyes.
thanks!

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

No problem. Glad to be helpful.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...