Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is a user with role "foo" unable to view data in panels, even with read/write permissions to the app and dashboard?

aferone
Builder

This is what a user in the "foo" role should see:

alt text

However, this is what they are actually seeing:

alt text

The "foo" role has read/write permissions to the app this dashboard is in, as well as read/write to the dashboard itself. They also have access to all of the indexes that the data is derived from.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

0 Karma

artcarrera
Explorer

I'm seeing this similar issue. It currently appears to be a problem with the path length of the temporary results file. That temp file is around 272 characters and the max is supposed to be 260 in Windows...

0 Karma

chimell
Motivator

Hi aferone
I think that the problem is about access to data that you used to build this dashboard.
Try to verify if a user in the "foo" role has permission to access these data .
If it is the case give him the permission to access it. And re-try

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

The user does have access to the data that populates the dashboard.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

1 - Check the underlying search to make sure it (the actual saved search or manually) returns successfully

2 - Confirm that the user can run the appropriate number of searches to fill out the dashboard - some users can only run a few searches whereas admin users are unlimited.

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

Thanks for the answer. I;ve confirmed that the user can "open in search" and run the search, however, he only gets results in "verbose mode". He cannot see the chart being displayed, which makes this really weird.

Also, they do have enough searches in their role to run all of the panels and then some.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

I've experienced the same issue with searches not working in fast or smart mode, but working in Verbose. I wonder if @mus or @piebob can shred any light.

0 Karma

markthompson
Builder

whats the difference? How did you take the first photo?

0 Karma

aferone
Builder

The first one is my admin access. The second one is a user with the role of "foo".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...