Dashboards & Visualizations

Why is Dashboard Studio not recognizing newline?

jinishshah
Explorer

When I just display field "Writeup" from my Excel dataset which is like below:

"This is the first line.

This is the second line.

This is the third line."

While displaying the same in Dashboard Studio, it prints like below:

"This is the first line.This is the second line.This is the third line."

How can I resolve this issue

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Can you please explain how you are adding the dataset and where and how you are using it?
0 Karma

jinishshah
Explorer

@VatsalJagani : Sorry for late reply. Dataset is an excel file. Below are more details

Excel file name: Writeup.csv

Data:

Header    Month   Writeup

Autosys   01-2022   There are many Autosys failures this month as compared to previous.

Main reason of failure is Server reboot.

All host issues have been resolved and numbers would do down this month

Query: | inputlookup Writeup.csv | where month="01-2022" and Header="Autosys"| fields Writeup

O/P: 

There are many Autosys failures this month as compared to previous. Main reason of failure is Server reboot. All host issues have been resolved and numbers would do down this month

Expected O/P:

There are many Autosys failures this month as compared to previous.

Main reason of failure is Server reboot.

All host issues have been resolved and numbers would do down this month

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ideally when you have a newline character in your CSV file.

Open that CSV file in a text editor (notepad, notepad++, etc), and your line should read something like:

Autosys,01-2022,"There are many Autosys failures this month as compared to previous.\n Main reason of failure is Server reboot.\n All host issues have been resolved and numbers would do down this month"

\n represents a newline character.

(Though, I'm not sure which component of Splunk Dashboard Studio treats \n as a newline character and which treats it as text.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...