Dashboards & Visualizations

Why doesn't my XML base search work?

varad_joshi
Communicator

I am playing with my base search and wondering why this is not working for me. My XML is as below. Pretty simple one huh?

So base search is just index=xyz for last 60 minutes. And the data has a field called action. I want timechart on that action.
For result it just shows timechart on just action (NULL) and not all.

If I open the same search in another window, I am getting proper result. Why such behavior?

<dashboard>
  <search id="basesearch">
    <query> index=xyz
     </query>
      <earliest>-60m</earliest>
       <latest>now</latest>  
  </search>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <search base="basesearch">
          <query>stats count by action</query>
        </search>
      </chart>
    </panel>
  </row>
  </dashboard>

PS: If I run stats count instead of timechart then it show No Result found but the same query works well in search.

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@varad_joshi, you can try to return specific fields or try | fields * in your base search and then see whether your post-process query picks it up or not. However, you should refer to Post Processing Best Practices that the base search should have a transforming command and you must not try to pass on raw events through the base search (in such cases you might be better off running separate searches instead of post processing).

Check out examples on how you should ideally perform post processing (multiple and multi-level)

<search id="basesearch">
     <query> index=xyz | fields action
      </query>
        <latest>now</latest>  
   </search>

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@varad_joshi, you can try to return specific fields or try | fields * in your base search and then see whether your post-process query picks it up or not. However, you should refer to Post Processing Best Practices that the base search should have a transforming command and you must not try to pass on raw events through the base search (in such cases you might be better off running separate searches instead of post processing).

Check out examples on how you should ideally perform post processing (multiple and multi-level)

<search id="basesearch">
     <query> index=xyz | fields action
      </query>
        <latest>now</latest>  
   </search>

varad_joshi
Communicator

Thanks Niket.
Yes I figured that later once I posted the question.

Thanks for your answer.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Aren't you missing the pipe at <query>stats count by action</query>?, meaning something like <query>| stats count by action</query>

niketn
Legend

@ddrillic, I don't think pipe is mandatory for post process searches.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Fair enough - thank you @niketnilay.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...