Dashboards & Visualizations

Why does updating a token with JavaScript not cause panels dependent on those tokens to refresh?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello,
I am having trouble understanding why a token update via JavaScript does not cause a panel that is dependent on that token to refresh. I have a date input called status_date that is configured to set a token tok_status_date during initialization (with today's date), and when it changes. JS file is as follows:

require([
        'jquery',
        'splunkjs/mvc',
        'splunkjs/mvc/simplexml/ready!'
], function ($, mvc) {

// initialization
        var tokens = mvc.Components.get("default");
        document.getElementById("status_date").valueAsDate = new Date();
        tokens.set("tok_status_date",document.getElementById("status_date").value);

$('#status_date').on("change", function (e){
                tokens.set("tok_status_date",document.getElementById("status_date").value);
        });
});

An HTML panel that I have configured will always show the value of tok_status_date, even when I update the value of the input.

<row>
    <panel>
        <html>
            <center><h1>$tok_status_date$</h1></center>
        </html>
    </panel>
</row>

I also have an XML panel whose search is dependent on tok_status_date, but it does not update whenever I change the value of the input:

<query>| makeresults | eval Day = strftime(strptime("$tok_status_date$","%Y-%m-%d"),"%d/%m/%Y") | table Day</query>

Why is this? Am I missing something in the JavaScript file?

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

1 Solution

andrewtrobec
Motivator

I've managed to solve the problem. I was only working with the "default" tokens when I should have also been using the "submitted" tokens. Here is the script that works:

require([
         'jquery',
         'splunkjs/mvc',
 ], function ($, mvc) {

// initialization
         var def_tok = mvc.Components.get("default");
         var sub_tok = mvc.Components.get("submitted");

def_tok.set("tok_status_date",document.getElementById("status_date").value);
         sub_tok.set("tok_status_date",document.getElementById("status_date").value);

});
 });

View solution in original post

andrewtrobec
Motivator

I've managed to solve the problem. I was only working with the "default" tokens when I should have also been using the "submitted" tokens. Here is the script that works:

require([
         'jquery',
         'splunkjs/mvc',
 ], function ($, mvc) {

// initialization
         var def_tok = mvc.Components.get("default");
         var sub_tok = mvc.Components.get("submitted");

});
 });

jmartin_pro
Explorer

Thank you so much! You saved me. I could not find this answer anywhere else.

0 Karma

lbrtntq
Engager

thanks man!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...