Dashboards & Visualizations

Why does my dynamic drop-down input get unset if anything in the XML is changed and breaks panels that rely on the token?

cdstealer
Contributor

Hi,

I've created a dashboard with 5 inputs. The first input will be hidden eventually. It's shown to allow me to diagnose the issue.

The issue I have is that it is unstable. If anything in the XML is changed, the first input "YAxisMax" breaks and becomes unset which then breaks the panels that rely on the token to set the height of the chart.

alt text

Here is the XML that I'm using for the inputs. I can't paste it as code or quote 😞
XML

I would be really grateful if anyone could help. I'm also using version 6.4.0.

Thanks In Advance.
Steve

0 Karma
1 Solution

cdstealer
Contributor

I think it's working now. I moved the YAxisMax inputs to the end of the fieldset and removed a couple of the unset lines from inputs that really didn't need them. So far so good and is stable 🙂 I've attached the fieldset XML for reference. Thank you very much Neil for offering your help.

fieldset_XML

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cdstealer
Contributor

I think it's working now. I moved the YAxisMax inputs to the end of the fieldset and removed a couple of the unset lines from inputs that really didn't need them. So far so good and is stable 🙂 I've attached the fieldset XML for reference. Thank you very much Neil for offering your help.

fieldset_XML

0 Karma

neilrc
Explorer

Hi There,

I'm guessing you are seeing this as all other inputs (Environment, Channel, Service, Application) have the following pragma associated to them:

<change>
    <unset token="form.YAxisMax"></unset>
  </change>

This is unsetting the token on changes.

Thanks,

Neil

0 Karma

cdstealer
Contributor

Hi Neil, That's correct. This seemed like a solution as without it, the YAxisMax dropdown would only ever display the first result from when the dashboard was opened and you'd have to manually select the new value. So the theory was to unset the token after a change so that YAxisMax would be forced to use the new value.

0 Karma

neilrc
Explorer

Hi there,

Not sure, but you could try using a the "depends" attribute inputs tag as a more explicit way of forming the token dependancy you need:

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.1/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#input_type_.22d...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...