Dashboards & Visualizations

Why are most of my Ent. Security Dashboards are blank? How do I open the flood gates of data or events into ES

SamHTexas
Builder

Why are most of my Ent. Security Dashboards are blank? How do I open the flood gates of data or events into ES. Matter what options I pick or which dashboard, says no result  found. We have a large environment, where are the events & all the goods & incidents?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Many ES dashboards are populated by datamodels.  Have you set yours up?  Have you enabled correlation searches appropriate for your data?  Most importantly, is your data CIM-compliant?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Thank u for your message. Yes, most of the environment was set up before I started. There are 30 or so datamodels mapped to apps & few 1000 saved searches. But the dashboards all pretty much say no data available!! Please advise. Also advise on how to best use the data models I have. Thank u

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There is no easy answer for this problem.  I suspect data was not onboarded to be CIM-compliant so now it can't be found by the datamodels. 

Review an empty dashboard to see what it is trying to find.  Verify there is data meeting those requirements (same sourcetype, tags, fields, etc).  Add fields, aliases, and tags as necessary for the search to find the data.  Avoid modifying the built-in datamodels.

Repeat for each empty panel.

---

SamHTexas
Builder

Great, it is making a lot of sense. So what role do Lookup tables make in this picture?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Lookups enrich data.  In ES, they add asset and identity information to notable events in addition to whatever custom enrichments your searches may need.

I doubt lookups are a cause of your blank dashboards, however.  If the lookups were failing then you'd still see *something* on the dashboard.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...