Dashboards & Visualizations

Where clause has syntax error?

wangkevin1029
Communicator

Hi, Splunkers,

| where ENT_CallType=if($t_VQ$ =="*","*",ltrim($t_VQ$,"VQ_"))

t_VQ is a dropdown token,  value is either ALL/*  or VQ_abc_efg  (string starting with VQ_)

what my code expected is

when t_VQ = *,  then  |where ENT_CallType=* 

when t_VQ = VQ_abc_efg,   then |where ENT_CallType=abc_efg

but when I selected ALL/*, has the following error

Error in ‘where’ command: The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at ‘* == “*”,”*”, ltrim(*,”VQ_”)

when VQ_abc_efg is selected, doesn't work either.

thx in advance

Kevin

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

No worries, but that distinction doesn't materially change the answer 🙂 

| where ENT_CallType=if(* =="*","*",ltrim(*,"VQ_"))

is just as syntactically wrong as what I thought your token value was  ... Do the same exercise and you get ... " if (multiplication operator) is equal to ... " which doesn't make sense.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

When you use tokens in dashboards they don't behave like variables, they behave more like #define macros in C... the literal value gets dropped into place where used prior to evaluation. (Ok this is an oversimplification, but when they're in your search strings... )

In the case that when your token has the value ALL/* then your where clause reads: 

| where ENT_CallType=if(ALL/* =="*","*",ltrim(ALL/*,"VQ_"))

To parse that statement in words where the field ENT_CallType has a value equal to ... if ( value of the field ALL divided by multiplied by ... And we've stopped making sense, thus we call it a syntax error when we reach the * coming from your token value.

With the value VQ_abc_efg you don't wind up with the same syntax problem, but you do wind up with something that is obviously not what you were intending: 

| where ENT_CallType=if(VQ_abc_efg =="*","*",ltrim(VQ_abc_efg ,"VQ_"))

Again turning this into words, I'm looking in my results for a field called ENT_CallType, and seeing if it's equal to * when the field named VQ_abc_efg has the value *, otherwise the value of the field VQ_abc_efg removing VQ_ from the front of it... 

I suspect you want to read up on Syntax to consume tokens , in particular $tokenname|s$ where your token value gets wrapped in double quotes before it gets inserted (and also helps with escaping quotations within the token value too). There are a few other hints around tokens there too.

wangkevin1029
Communicator

it looks I should use  $t_VQ|s$,  instead of $t_VQ$, will do more testing.

Kevin

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

acharlieh,

sorry for misleading  your,

ALL/*  here means   label/value,    when ALL is selected,  value is *.

same thing, VQ_abc_efg is also the value of token.

Kevin

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

No worries, but that distinction doesn't materially change the answer 🙂 

| where ENT_CallType=if(* =="*","*",ltrim(*,"VQ_"))

is just as syntactically wrong as what I thought your token value was  ... Do the same exercise and you get ... " if (multiplication operator) is equal to ... " which doesn't make sense.

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

thx,  the documentation  link you sent reminded me of  $t_VB|s$, 

now, I run into a similar issue.

how to concatenate a field with a token.

like the following where clause,   ENT_CallType is a field,  t_CallType is token,  

using . (dot) to do concatenation doesn't work,  I also tried ENT_CallType + $t_CallType|s$,  it doesn't work either.

| where ENT_CallType=if($t_CallType|s$ == "*",ENT_CallType,ENT_CallType.$t_CallType|s$)

Kevin

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

it works when I selected  VQ_abc_efg,  but when  ALL/* is selected, still not working.

Kevin

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...