Dashboards & Visualizations

Where clause has syntax error?

wangkevin1029
Communicator

Hi, Splunkers,

| where ENT_CallType=if($t_VQ$ =="*","*",ltrim($t_VQ$,"VQ_"))

t_VQ is a dropdown token,  value is either ALL/*  or VQ_abc_efg  (string starting with VQ_)

what my code expected is

when t_VQ = *,  then  |where ENT_CallType=* 

when t_VQ = VQ_abc_efg,   then |where ENT_CallType=abc_efg

but when I selected ALL/*, has the following error

Error in ‘where’ command: The expression is malformed. An unexpected character is reached at ‘* == “*”,”*”, ltrim(*,”VQ_”)

when VQ_abc_efg is selected, doesn't work either.

thx in advance

Kevin

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

acharlieh
Influencer

No worries, but that distinction doesn't materially change the answer 🙂 

| where ENT_CallType=if(* =="*","*",ltrim(*,"VQ_"))

is just as syntactically wrong as what I thought your token value was  ... Do the same exercise and you get ... " if (multiplication operator) is equal to ... " which doesn't make sense.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

When you use tokens in dashboards they don't behave like variables, they behave more like #define macros in C... the literal value gets dropped into place where used prior to evaluation. (Ok this is an oversimplification, but when they're in your search strings... )

In the case that when your token has the value ALL/* then your where clause reads: 

| where ENT_CallType=if(ALL/* =="*","*",ltrim(ALL/*,"VQ_"))

To parse that statement in words where the field ENT_CallType has a value equal to ... if ( value of the field ALL divided by multiplied by ... And we've stopped making sense, thus we call it a syntax error when we reach the * coming from your token value.

With the value VQ_abc_efg you don't wind up with the same syntax problem, but you do wind up with something that is obviously not what you were intending: 

| where ENT_CallType=if(VQ_abc_efg =="*","*",ltrim(VQ_abc_efg ,"VQ_"))

Again turning this into words, I'm looking in my results for a field called ENT_CallType, and seeing if it's equal to * when the field named VQ_abc_efg has the value *, otherwise the value of the field VQ_abc_efg removing VQ_ from the front of it... 

I suspect you want to read up on Syntax to consume tokens , in particular $tokenname|s$ where your token value gets wrapped in double quotes before it gets inserted (and also helps with escaping quotations within the token value too). There are a few other hints around tokens there too.

wangkevin1029
Communicator

it looks I should use  $t_VQ|s$,  instead of $t_VQ$, will do more testing.

Kevin

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

acharlieh,

sorry for misleading  your,

ALL/*  here means   label/value,    when ALL is selected,  value is *.

same thing, VQ_abc_efg is also the value of token.

Kevin

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

No worries, but that distinction doesn't materially change the answer 🙂 

| where ENT_CallType=if(* =="*","*",ltrim(*,"VQ_"))

is just as syntactically wrong as what I thought your token value was  ... Do the same exercise and you get ... " if (multiplication operator) is equal to ... " which doesn't make sense.

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

thx,  the documentation  link you sent reminded me of  $t_VB|s$, 

now, I run into a similar issue.

how to concatenate a field with a token.

like the following where clause,   ENT_CallType is a field,  t_CallType is token,  

using . (dot) to do concatenation doesn't work,  I also tried ENT_CallType + $t_CallType|s$,  it doesn't work either.

| where ENT_CallType=if($t_CallType|s$ == "*",ENT_CallType,ENT_CallType.$t_CallType|s$)

Kevin

0 Karma

wangkevin1029
Communicator

it works when I selected  VQ_abc_efg,  but when  ALL/* is selected, still not working.

Kevin

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...