Dashboards & Visualizations

Where can I find the existing config files on our host machine? (New to Splunk!)

joshbola

Hello there everyone, wanted to reach out for help as I have taken a new role in my work life and I was give the duties on Splunk. I have never used it before, so I have been watching the education videos and learning. I am coming into an environment that already has Splunk setup.

I have a project request to add something to an existing Dashboard. The system that will be forwarding Data already has Universal Forwarder Installed and configured.

My questions is where can I find the existing config files on the host machines? I believe that is the file that I need to edit in order to forward data to Splunk for a new log.

Sorry but I am a newbie with this app, so learning continues...

Thank You

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Are you using a Deployment Server or a Monitoring Console (which will tell you if you are using a DS)?

0 Karma

joshbola

Hello there Chris, thank you for your response and yes its a BIG task at hand to learn Splunk.

So the host machine is already forwarding data from other logs to the Indexer. I need to register a new log file to forward the data to indexer. I did find the inputs.conf and it looks like there is the host information and there is a Script with PATH File type pointing to Splunk-wmi.exe

Thank You

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Welcome to the world of Splunk! It is a lot to learn. 🙂

If all you need to do is set up the indexer to receive data from a forwarder that is already configured, edit inputs.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local. See Enable a receiver in the Forwarder Manual.

You should also familiarize yourself with the relevant parts of the Getting Data In manual.

Information about configuration files - their location and precedence - is in the Admin Manual. Start with About configuration files and read the topics that follow it.

Also, there is documentation specifically for people who have inherited a Splunk Enterprise deployment! It might also be useful for you. See Inherit a Splunk Enterprise Deployment.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...