Dashboards & Visualizations

Where are the Splunk 6.5.0 Keyboard Commands and Shortcuts located in documentation?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Has anyone found where the Splunk 6.5.0 keyboard commands and shortcuts live within the documentation? This pertains to both search writing and formatting as well as editing simple xml dashboards/forms.

I see references to the commands in the Splunk Enterprise 6.5 Overview app, but I'm looking for the consolidated list within the documentation.

0 Karma
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Search bar shortcuts in the Search Manual. There are also keyboard shortcuts for showing and hiding the search assistant, those are documented in Hide and display the search assistant, also in the Search Manual.

I don't think there are keyboard shortcuts for dashboards, have you specifically heard of (or found) anything new there?

View solution in original post

jawaharas
Motivator

Few important Keyboard shortcuts:

Ctrl + \                   Format SPL
Ctrl + Shift + F           Formal XML
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes! I've also updated the accepted answer. Since this was originally posted the answers are now all in the docs. See above!

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @SloshBurch,
As part of the dashboard editor updates for 6.5, the following Ace keyboard shortcuts were also incorporated:

https://ace.c9.io/demo/keyboard_shortcuts.html

These shortcuts are not considered supported, however, and could change in later software versions. They aren't mentioned in the Overview app.

I'll add a note mentioning the above to our documentation.

Hope this helps!

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Building on this, did you happen to see if any of those shortcuts did auto-indenting? Prior to 6.5, we could do that with the old editor but I couldn't find the corresponding command in the new one, nor in the ace items you provided, not through an internet search. Any ideas? I figured I'd check before opening a CIR.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Straight from the horses mouth:
"Cmd+Shift+F (Ctrl+Shift+F on Windows) formats the whole document with simplexml semantics in mind. There's no selection formatting. "

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've added a note to reflect the dashboard shortcuts in our documentation here:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/Viz/CreateandeditdashboardsviatheUI#Source_code_ed...

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yay! Thanks!

0 Karma

frobinson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I also don't see an auto-indent shortcut and I haven't heard about there being one. The API docs for Ace claim that there is an auto-indent, but I can't find any additional info on it. You could follow up with the engineering team to ask about their implementation and/or make an enhancement request, though.

It occurs to me that auto-indent might not work or work differently in our case because there are probably rules you have to "teach" Ace or an editor built on top of it in order for it to parse and indent correctly. As Simple XML is unique to Splunk, this might not have been part of the implementation. I'm not sure, though.

Hope that helps!

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Search bar shortcuts in the Search Manual. There are also keyboard shortcuts for showing and hiding the search assistant, those are documented in Hide and display the search assistant, also in the Search Manual.

I don't think there are keyboard shortcuts for dashboards, have you specifically heard of (or found) anything new there?

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Dashboard keyboard commands are listed in About the dashboard editor thanks to @frobinson_splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...