Dashboards & Visualizations

What is the recommendation for handling more than 3 panels in splunk 4.1 view?

Lowell
Super Champion

I have a dashboard (advanced XML) that has 5 SingleValue elements on a single row. After upgrading to Splunk 4.1, I'm now only seeing the first 3 modules and I'm seeing the error:

found an invalid value for layoutPanel - 'panel_row2_col4'.

I'm assuming that this is related the following item on the release notes:

If you specify more than the 3-column maximum for layoutPanel, the error message is not very helpful. (SPL-29295)

However, I'm not seeing in the docs note about the 3 column limitation, or how to resolve this. Is 3 the new official limit in Splunk 4.1? If so, is there a way to work around this to get my existing layout? 5 single modules fit side by side quite well, I could see why 5 charts, for example may not. I'm assuming there is some advantage in introducing this new limitation, anyone know?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

smisplunk
Path Finder

You mention that you're using SingleValue elements. It's easy to crowd these together within a single panel. Use a layoutPanel like "panel_row1_col1_grp1", "panel_row1_col1_grp2", etc. I've got a view with six of these in the same "row / column" cell without issue.

View solution in original post

smisplunk
Path Finder

You mention that you're using SingleValue elements. It's easy to crowd these together within a single panel. Use a layoutPanel like "panel_row1_col1_grp1", "panel_row1_col1_grp2", etc. I've got a view with six of these in the same "row / column" cell without issue.

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just FYI... some examples are documented here. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/AdvancedDev/AdvancedDashboard. See "You can also set up a group of panels within a larger panel using a single parent module."

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

That rocks! Thanks. I don't think I realized that there were groups under the row/cell level.... I wonder if this is possible with simple XML? (I'm guessing it's not)

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Hey Emma, I'm seeing it in the docs now. (I don't know if docs were updated, or I was just missing it before...) I know I've seen it mentioned on other questions on this site, so other people have run into this as well. What confused me in the known issues is that the message doesn't indicate that the maximum has changed between 4.0 and 4.1. I think that would be helpful to point out.

0 Karma

emma
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Lowell,

There is mention of this in the docs about building dashboards. Many of the pages mention that you can have up to three panels in a row. Where were you looking that you didn't see this so I can add some more notes?

Thanks!
Emma

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is currently a 3 panel limit. It will likely be changed in a maintenance release.

matthewcanty
Communicator

Long wait...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...