Dashboards & Visualizations

Vertical panel grouping

jamesdon
Path Finder

I see that you can group panels horizontally (from dev manual):

<module name="StaticContentSample" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1" group="All Indexed Data" autoRun="True">
  <param name="text">This will show you all of the data you have loaded into index=main over all time.</param>
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1_grp1">
      <param name="label">Sources</param>
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1_grp2">
    <param name="label">Sourcetypes</param>
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1_grp3">
    <param name="label">Hosts</param>

But I cannot seem to group them horizontally (in the same column):

<module name="StaticContentSample" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1" group="All Indexed Data" autoRun="True">
  <param name="text">This will show you all of the data you have loaded into index=main over all time.</param>
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp1">
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1_grp1">
  <module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row3_col1_grp1">

Is there a way to accomplish this grouping? Its purely cosmetic, but it is the best way to display these particular charts.

Thank you,

Jim

Tags (1)
0 Karma

valentrm
Explorer

Is there an easy way to set the widths of different groups so they're NOT equal?

0 Karma

sethfam1
Engager

Follow-up question on this thread (and specifically Sideview's answer on 12/27/10):

Is there an easy way to set the widths of different groups so they're NOT equal? For example, I have a panel with 5 groups, and I want the first, third and fifth to each be 10%, and the second and fourth to each be 35% of the total panel width. I have lots of panels in the dashboard, so I'd like to figure out a programmatic solution (ideally via CSS).

Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your help, Splunk community!

0 Karma

valentrm
Explorer

I have the same question.
I have 2 groups inside the same row, but i don't want that each one of them become equal. I want the second one with 30% and the first one with 70%.
Is this possible?
I'll be waiting for an answer.
Thanks for your help

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Im not sure what you're trying to do, but for a given panel, like say "panel_row1_col1", all of the layoutPanel values that begin with that string will appear in the same panel, meaning the same rounded-corner box on the dashboard. For a single panel, the diagram looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                 panel_row1_col1                         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|  panel_row1_col1_grp1  |  panel_row1_col1_grp2  | panel_row1_col1_grp3  | 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, this diagram is showing a SINGLE panel. I'd try to draw panel_row1_col1 next to panel_row1_col2 but my ascii diagram would be fail so you'll just have to imagine it.

Now, to explain the grp1, grp2, grp3 -- they each get 33% width here. But if you dont have a grp3, then grp1 and grp2 each take 50% width, etc.. In this case you only have the top section of the panel and grp1, so grp1 will just get 100% width and there'll be no horizontal grouping.

I suspect that you want something like this below. Your nesting was also a little haywire so I fixed that. And autoRun=True on static modules wont do anything so I've removed that.

<module name="StaticContentSample" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1" group="All Indexed Data">
</module>
<module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp1">
</module>
<module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp2">
</module>
<module name="GenericHeader" layoutPanel="panel_row1_col1_grp3">
</module>

To get a good understanding of what the nested <module> tags mean, as well as a wealth of examples of different advanced XML functionality and layout, download the "UI Examples for 4.1" app from splunkbase. (Be careful not to download the older "UI Examples" app as this is quite old and out of date.)

ftk
Motivator

I do not believe that this is currently an option. I suggest logging an Enhancement Request for this feature.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...