Dashboards & Visualizations

Using dashboard for presentation

quahfamili
Path Finder

Hi all,

My company often use splunk to show stats for presentation to management monthly. I tot it is quite nice as these stats are most automatically generated and do once and forget (dashboard).

But often my supervisor want me to add comments to the chart to highlight key information. However, there is not much easy options, apart from using colours and inserting html to xml. Neither of the options are optimal, because the focus to highlight change every month.

The more advance way is to create js code to handle this by adding tooltip and mouse over. I m not sure if this approach is simpler. But it means that I still have to change the code every month.

Anyone have any idea how to overcome this? Maybe an app that allows u to add text bubble which overlay on the dashboard?

Edits:

alt text

Added a mock up picture. Like adding a chat bubble to highlight some drops in the stats.

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

If you are on Splunk Enterprise 7.0 or higher, you should check out Event Annotations feature.
However, if there is no pattern in which section of chart needs to show additional information you are better off using JavaScript Tooltip so that Custom message is displayed only on mouse hover. You can refer to answer by @jeffland on Custom Tooltip text in highcharts.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/337329/is-it-possible-to-show-a-custom-tooltip-whenever-a.html

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

If you are on Splunk Enterprise 7.0 or higher, you should check out Event Annotations feature.
However, if there is no pattern in which section of chart needs to show additional information you are better off using JavaScript Tooltip so that Custom message is displayed only on mouse hover. You can refer to answer by @jeffland on Custom Tooltip text in highcharts.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/337329/is-it-possible-to-show-a-custom-tooltip-whenever-a.html

quahfamili
Path Finder

Wow thanks, didn't know that 7.0 has such feature.... It is pretty much what I needed! Thanks

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@quahfamili, I have converted my comment to answer. Please accept/up vote the answer if it has addressed your needs. Here is one of my previous answers for your reference: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/600749/chart-with-trendline-in-splunk.html

niketn
Legend

@quahfamili, looks like this should be possible through CSS and JS Extension to Simple XML. However, community experts would be able to assist you only when you provide more details like Current Screenshot of what your dashboard generates and mock screenshot of what is the desired output. If you can provide the simple XML code for your dashboard that would be even better. You can mask out sensitive data and mock screenshot/code if required before posting.

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...