Dashboards & Visualizations

Use of checkbox to govern annotations

martinhelgegren
Explorer

Been Googling (as a novice user of SPLUNK) for a while in search of an answer but haven't had the luck so I'll try posting a Q. I'm using annotations in-line with timecharts in various searches. The UI source looks like this:

<search id="base_annotation">
    <query>index=my_index | eval My_value = 'host' + " " + 'another_field' | eval annotation_label = Host_value</query>
    <earliest>$timefield.earliest$</earliest>
    <latest>$timefield.latest$</latest>
  </search>

I then add the resulting base_annotation into the relevant timecharts of my dashboard using:

</search>
          <search type="annotation" base="base_annotation">
          <query></query>
        </search>

...beneath the original query. This works well but I'd like to make the annotations optional to the users. Hence I'd imagine there is a way to let a checkbox govern the presence of annotation in the timecharts ie. if the checkbox is checked then keep the code as is, if un-checked then run the searches without the search type="annotation".

Any hints anyone?
Kind regards

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use a checkbox to set a token to true or false and append a where clause to your annotation query so that it only returns results if the token is true, or something like that.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...