Dashboards & Visualizations

Too much annotations

wbolten
Path Finder

Hi,
I have created a bar chart that shows in my case example data on the CPU usage of a device with two overlays for inbound and outbound traffic.
alt text

When a certain combination of values is exceeded I want to place an annotation to highlight this. As shown in this example.
alt text

What I cannot seem to get rid off are the orange annotations that seem to be placed when the condition is not matched.

The search is as follows. In this I am evaluating and updating the label and the category.

<search type="annotation">
<query>index="bla" 
| timechart span=1m avg(inPercentUtil) as inPercentUtil avg(Percent_CPULoad) as Percent_CPULoad 
| eval critical=if(inPercentUtil>65 AND Percent_CPULoad>90,"Yes","No")
| eval annotation_category=case(critical="Yes","Critical")
| eval annotation_label=case(critical="Yes","Insert_Message")
 </query>

What should I do to stop the orange markers from showing? I don't even specify a color for the annotations.

<option name="charting.annotation.categoryColors">{"Critical":"0xe60000"}</option>
0 Karma
1 Solution

wbolten
Path Finder

Right, been staring at this for ages but it seems to be solved.

It was suggested to only select the moments to place the annotation from the search rather then look for them from the result.

Changed the annotation query to

index="bla" | search inPercentUtil>65 AND Percent_CPULoad>90
| eval annotation_category="Critical"
| eval annotation_label="Insert_Message"

Now it is working.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wbolten
Path Finder

Right, been staring at this for ages but it seems to be solved.

It was suggested to only select the moments to place the annotation from the search rather then look for them from the result.

Changed the annotation query to

index="bla" | search inPercentUtil>65 AND Percent_CPULoad>90
| eval annotation_category="Critical"
| eval annotation_label="Insert_Message"

Now it is working.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Great news!

I have converted your comment to an answer. Please accept it so others can see how you resolved your issue.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

wbolten
Path Finder

Thank you, I have done so.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...