Dashboards & Visualizations

Timechart for a field that occurs only once in 24 hour. The field has multiple values

sara91
Explorer

Hi All,

I want to create timechart which shows CPU utilization for each clienthost. There is only one event that occurs every 24 hour.
That event has 12 CPU utilization values. Each value is the cpu utilization for each 2 hour in the last 24 hour i.e.

if this is the event for that got indexed at 18:00 hour today 10/2/2020 , cpuoverall: 1.51,9.47,1.70,1.45,1.51,1.47,1.46,1.46,1.48,1.48,1.50,1.50
then;

cpu1=1.59 is the cpu utilization for the 2 hours between, 18:00 and 20:00 of 09/2/2020.
cpu2=9.47 is the cpu utilization for the next 2 hours between, 20:00 and 22:00 of 09/2/2020.
cpu3=1.70 is the cpu utilization for the next hours between, 22:00 and 00:00 of 09/2/2020.
cpu4=1.45 is the cpu utilization for the next 2 hours between, 00:00 and 02:00 of 10/2/2020
and so on.

How can I create a timechart (as a line graph) for these values, in which each cpu value is marked on that particular hour of the day on the chart ?

In the end the chart should be a line graph where each line represent different client host, and the cpu values should be spread across the time.

Please let me know if it is possible. I have tired it by mapping time and cpu values but I am not able to create a graph

0 Karma
1 Solution

maciep
Champion

Not sure if this overkill...maybe missing something easier, but it's what came to mind. The first 2 lines are just trying to get an event that looks close enough to what you have...spl starts with the delta eval

Essentially, I'm creating a mv field from the cpu data, then creating a static mv field to represent the offset of those cpu data points compared to the _time field of the event. Once they're joined together with mvzip, I mvexpand that field, so now they're each their own event and should still include the original timestamp and host. Then I use the delta in that combined field to re-eval _time in the event and the cpu to re-eval the cpu...at which piont, we can timechart with a span of 2h.

| stats count 
| eval _time = relative_time(now(),"@d+18h"), cpu="1.51,9.47,1.70,1.45,1.51,1.47,1.46,1.46,1.48,1.48,1.50,1.50",host="ServerA"
| eval delta="-24h,-22h,-20h,-18h,-16h,-14h,-12h,-10h,-8h,-6h,-4h,-2h,-0h"
| eval cpu_with_delta = mvzip(split(delta,","),split(cpu,","),":")
| mvexpand cpu_with_delta
| eval delta = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),0), cpu = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),1)
| eval _time = relative_time(_time,delta)
| timechart span=2h max(cpu) by host

View solution in original post

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

Not sure if this overkill...maybe missing something easier, but it's what came to mind. The first 2 lines are just trying to get an event that looks close enough to what you have...spl starts with the delta eval

Essentially, I'm creating a mv field from the cpu data, then creating a static mv field to represent the offset of those cpu data points compared to the _time field of the event. Once they're joined together with mvzip, I mvexpand that field, so now they're each their own event and should still include the original timestamp and host. Then I use the delta in that combined field to re-eval _time in the event and the cpu to re-eval the cpu...at which piont, we can timechart with a span of 2h.

| stats count 
| eval _time = relative_time(now(),"@d+18h"), cpu="1.51,9.47,1.70,1.45,1.51,1.47,1.46,1.46,1.48,1.48,1.50,1.50",host="ServerA"
| eval delta="-24h,-22h,-20h,-18h,-16h,-14h,-12h,-10h,-8h,-6h,-4h,-2h,-0h"
| eval cpu_with_delta = mvzip(split(delta,","),split(cpu,","),":")
| eval delta = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),0), cpu = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),1)
| eval _time = relative_time(_time,delta)
| timechart span=2h max(cpu) by host
0 Karma

sara91
Explorer

thankyou. This is working

0 Karma

sara91
Explorer

This needed few more modifications so that we can show all the values of last 7 days. Major change is the way relative time is calculated. Instead of calculating relative time wrt now(), we have calculated with _time itself. Thsi helped us in calculating the time wrt the indexed time value.

The modified search query

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" "cpuoverall"
| stats values(cpuoverall) as cpu by _time, host
| eval time2 = relative_time(_time,"@h+1h")
| eval delta = "-22h,-20h,-18h,-16h,-14h,-12h,-10h,-8h,-6h,-4h,-2h,-0h"
| eval cpu_with_delta = mvzip(split(delta,","), split(cpu,","),":")
| eval delta2 = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),0), cpu2 = mvindex(split(cpu_with_delta,":"),1)
| eval _time = relative_time(time2,delta2)
| timechart span=1h values(cpu2) as "CPU Usage" by host

maciep
Champion

thanks for following up...these types of improvement notes can often help others when they land here with a similar problem.

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

I see the situation.
what's your logs?

your search
| table _time cpuoverall

Viz >> Line Chart
Is this enough?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...