Dashboards & Visualizations

Staggering Refresh of Individual Panels in a Dashboard

aferone
Builder

I have successfully implemented refreshing dashboard panels individually, without refreshing the entire dashboard, using the information in this Splunk Answers post:

Link

However, what if I wanted each panel to refresh for the same time frame (i.e. past 15 minutes), but I wanted to stagger when each panel refreshed (i.e. 1 minute apart)? I want to basically avoid refreshing the entire dashboard at the same time, but I want to stagger when each panel refreshes.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Tags (3)

jdwest1
Explorer

I think because the spot requires an integer you have to play the Least Common Multiple game. As far as I know, you can't have a variable there + an integer which is what would solve your problem. I joked with my boss about needing a fourth grader for this type of operation. But seriously, if you need to refresh but not at the same time. Use this link to calculate it out guess-and-check style, aim for much longer than you will have the dashboard up.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/least-common-multiple-tool.html

I did 302 and 304 secs which won't overlap for over 12 hours.
You would need to be more creative if you are refreshing a lot of panels. Might go for refreshing 3-4 at a time. I have 20+ panels and am running into issues of the graphics not displaying on most of the graphs.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To avoid all that icky math, you could have two steps -
(1) when the entire dashboard refreshes, have each panel set a staggered refresh rate (10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s etc)
(2) On each panel's refresh, have it set itself to the same refresh rate (240 sec)

0 Karma

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

With simple XML in v6.1.x, it's no longer necessary to use another module to refresh individual panels. There is a refresh option now. For example, in the settings for a chart in 6.x, you could use the following to refresh the chart every 900 seconds:

<option name="refresh.auto.interval">900</option>

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML

sbrant_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In the Splunk URL for the dashboard in question, add this on the end:

?showsource=true

so, if you were viewing the dashboard weather_stats, it would look like the following:

http://:8000/en-US/app/weather/weather_stats?showsource=true

I don't have a 6.0 instance to test with but that will either show you the advanced xml directly or will show you HTML and give you a link to show the advanced xml.

0 Karma

karthikp1989
Explorer

As I mentioned, my Splunk version is 6.0.4. There is a refresh option for dashboard as a whole but not individual panels. I see the refresh.auto.interval works only in the latest versions.

So getting back to my question of how to edit advanced xml, if I click on edit source, I see only simple XML. May I know where can I edit the advanced XML so that I can use the code snippets from the link mentioned by @aferone in his original question?

0 Karma

karthikp1989
Explorer

In reference to the link you mentioned, How can I edit the dashboard source code as advanced XML? I can only see simple XML when I try to edit the source? I am using Splunk 6.0 version. Any help would be helpful. Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...