Dashboards & Visualizations
Highlighted

Splunk support for XML log files written by System.Diagnostics.EventSchemaTraceListener

Hi

from our ASP.NET MVC application we write XML log files in the event schema format by a trace listener contained in the .NET framework (System.Diagnostics.EventSchemaTraceListener from System.Core dll). Pretty standard in the .NET micro-cosmos...

I'm wondering if and how Splunk can handle this kind of (standard Windows) event schema? The trick is the "correlation" between related activities. This way I can group activities and sub-activities not only from a technical perspective but also from a business perspective (e.g. to log the whole business process). This is a sample "event" where the correlation come into play:

<![CDATA[

LABS00026

StopLogicalActivity

Information
Transfer

]]>

(1) First the configuration questions:

Does Splunk "understand" this kind of XML format out-of-the-box?
How to configure the "Data input"?

(2) Second the Search questions:

How can we query all messages from a logical activity?
And how to query all related (sub-) activities with the "parent" correlation token?

Thanks in advance.

Kindly, Stefan

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Splunk support for XML log files written by System.Diagnostics.EventSchemaTraceListener

Because the Splunkbase tool breaks the XML data, I add a screenshot of the sample event:
alt text

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Splunk support for XML log files written by System.Diagnostics.EventSchemaTraceListener

Builder

Stefan, I haven't seen specific .net plug-ins (though clearly there is a potential following ;-), but Splunk will index your logs ok. Search xml in the splunk base for more. The following shows a few tweeks you may need to consider within the inputs. conf and props files using whitelists.
I'd be interested to see how it went...let us know.
Br
D

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/7275/index-xml-log-files

0 Karma
Highlighted

Builder

I should add - xml with the tag data makes it eminently usable within Splunk, so less issues in respect of field identification even if you have to use regexes.

0 Karma
Highlighted

D

Tnx. Just to make it clear: The event schema is not .NET specific at all. It's the standard Windows Event Log format. See "Event Schema (Windows)" on MSDN for instance: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa385201

Stefan

0 Karma