Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunk strptime returning NaN

trever
Loves-to-Learn

I have a eval on a dashboard that used to work but it stopped and I havent been able to figure out why.

On the dashboard im taking the _time and turning it into a human readable string using `strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")` and that works great. The problem comes in when I try to convert it back later for making a link to a search.

For example:
```
<eval token="endTimestamp">relative_time(strptime($row.Timestamp$, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z"), "+30m")</eval>
```

Used to work and return the unix time that I added 30m to, but now `strptime` just returns NaN but this is the right format. I've checked out all the Splunk docs and everything looks right but it still is broke.

Any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Here is the snippet from my field row im making:

```
<condition field="Search">
<eval token="startTimestamp">$row.Timestamp$</eval>
<eval token="endTimestamp">relative_time(strptime($row.Timestamp$, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z"), "+30m")</eval>
<eval token="corKey">$row.Correlation Key$</eval>
<link target="_blank">search?q=(index=### OR index=###) earliest=$startTimestamp$ latest=$endTimestamp$ correlationKey=$corKey$</link>
</condition>
```

I have taken out everything but the $row.Timestamp$ and that returns something like `10/03/2021 07:41:27 PDT` which is the format that I put into it, I just cant do the reverse. I have copied and pasted the format from the `strftime` and still no luck converting it back so I can do math on it.

Any suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

jhanvidattani
Path Finder

@trever 

I am not sure why it's not working. But can you try below code:

<form>
  <label>test</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="time" token="time_token">
      <label></label>
      <default>
        <earliest>-15m</earliest>
        <latest>now</latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <title>Sources</title>
        <search>
          <query>index="_internal" | stats count by source, sourcetype, _time | eval Timestamp = strftime(_time, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z"), epoch_time = strptime(Timestamp, "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")</query>
          <earliest>$time_token.earliest$</earliest>
          <latest>$time_token.latest$</latest>
        </search>
        <fields>source, sourcetype,Timestamp</fields>
        <option name="drilldown">row</option>
        <option name="refresh.display">progressbar</option>
        <drilldown>
          <eval token="endTimestamp">strftime(relative_time($row.epoch_time$,"+30m"), "%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S %Z")</eval>
        </drilldown>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <title>Drilldown Value</title>
        <search>
          <query>|makeresults sample_field=$endTimestamp$</query>
        </search>
        <option name="drilldown">none</option>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

If you find my solution/debugging steps useful, an upvote would be appreciated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...