Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunk JavaScript SDK: Can client-side applications work without node.js?

kylewilliamson_

I am currently working with the JavaScript SDK and want to know if client-side applications can work without node.js?

0 Karma

mohitab
Path Finder

I am also having the same issue.

My objective is to create a apache/jetty hosted business website that uses Splunk javascript SDK. I want the javascript features from SDK to work without using node.js. AFAIK, the purpose of node.js is to provide a /proxy service (endpoint) for the javascript calls to Splunk server. We need a /proxy kind of service to be running on our business webserver because Cross-origin resource sharing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing) is not allowed, or in simple words, a browser on which our business website is open, cannot make a direct call to splunk server on its own.

I am also looking for a way where I can avoid using node.js server or creating a /proxy service on my apache/jetty server. I am sure that splunk would not release an SDK with the constraint of using node.js as the only server. I have posted my question on : http://answers.splunk.com/answers/189901/by-pass-proxy-service-for-javascript-sdk.html. I would appreciate if someone can put morel light on this architectural issue.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I am not an SDK expert, but the prerequisites information and this topic in the SDK docs suggest that Node.js is included for server-side scripting and to run the client examples. "You can also use this simple server for development. But for production, you could use a proxy on your web server to forward requests to Splunk."

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...